Decorative buttons are a great way to add a unique touch to any outfit. Not only do they make a fashion statement, but they can also be used to creatively express yourself. Whether you use them to dress up a blazer or to give new life to a vintage piece, there are countless ways to incorporate decorative buttons into your wardrobe.
Decorative buttons come in all shapes, sizes, and colors, making it easy to find ones that match your personal style. Whether you want something bold and eye-catching or subtle and sophisticated, there is a decorative button out there for everyone. And the best part? They can be added to almost any clothing item - shirts, jackets, pants, even accessories like purses or hats. So why settle for boring clothes when you can spice them up with some fun button accents?
The Importance of Decorative Buttons in your wardrobe
"Buttons are the fossils of the sartorial world, enduring long past the garments they were designed to hold together." ~ Martha Stewart
Have you ever considered how decorative buttons can add color and personality to your wardrobe? Buttons are often overlooked as a fashion accessory, but they can actually be the perfect finishing touch for any outfit. Unique buttons can transform an ordinary piece of clothing into something extraordinary.
One way to incorporate decorative buttons into your wardrobe is by replacing existing buttons on a blouse, jacket, or coat with more unique ones. This simple switch can instantly change the look and feel of an outfit. Whether you opt for vintage buttons, colorful resin ones, or funky shapes like stars or flowers, there are endless options to choose from.
Another way to use decorative buttons is by adding them as embellishments to clothing items that don't have any buttons at all. For example, you could sew on some cute animal-shaped buttons onto a plain denim jacket or add some sparkling rhinestone ones onto the collar of a blouse.
Types of Decorative Buttons: Metal, Fabric, Plastic and More
The first 20 types of fancy buttons that come to my mind are:
- Shank Buttons
- Rhinestone Buttons
- Novelty Buttons
- Metal Buttons
- Fabric-Covered Buttons
- Wooden Buttons
- Pearl Buttons
- Leather Buttons
- Vintage Buttons
- Enamel Buttons
- Beaded Buttons
- Ceramic Buttons
- Glass Buttons
- Shell Buttons
- Embossed Buttons
- Filigree Buttons
- Embroidered Buttons
- Toggle Buttons
- Resin Buttons
- Plastic Buttons
How to Choose the Right Button: Matching, Contrasting, and Complementing
Buttons may seem like small details when it comes to fashion, but they can make a big impact. Choosing the right button can elevate your clothing from basic to stunning. There are several factors you should consider when selecting buttons, including matching, contrasting, and complementing.
Matching buttons are ideal for creating a cohesive and polished look. If you have a garment made out of the same fabric as your pants or skirt, choose buttons that match the color and texture of your outfit. Contrasting buttons work well with solid-colored garments or those with simple patterns. They add a pop of color and interest to an otherwise plain piece of clothing. Complementing buttons are perfect for those looking for unique buttons that don't necessarily match the outfit but add some flair to it.
When it comes to decorative buttons, there's no limit to what you can find!
10 Fashion Decorative button Creative Projects That You Can Try:
- Button-Embellished Denim Jacket: Transform a plain denim jacket by sewing or attaching decorative buttons along the collar, cuffs, or pockets. Create a unique design or pattern to personalize your jacket.
- Button-Adorned Blouse: Update a basic blouse by replacing the existing buttons with decorative ones. Choose buttons that complement the fabric and add a touch of elegance or visual interest to the garment.
- Buttoned-Up Skirt: Add decorative buttons along the front or side of a skirt to create a statement closure. This can elevate the look and give the skirt a unique focal point.
- Buttoned Cuffs: Give a classic tailored shirt a stylish twist by adding decorative buttons to the cuffs. Opt for buttons that contrast with the shirt fabric or match the overall color scheme.
- Buttoned Collar Tips: Revamp a collared shirt or blouse by attaching decorative buttons to the collar tips. This simple addition can add a touch of sophistication and charm to your outfit.
- Button-Embellished Shoes: Jazz up a plain pair of flats or sneakers by gluing decorative buttons along the sides, heel, or toe cap. This DIY project can give your shoes a fun and whimsical vibe.
- Buttoned Belts: Customize a belt by sewing or attaching decorative buttons along its length. This not only adds visual interest but also helps create a unique accessory that complements your outfit.
- Buttoned Headbands: Create your own headbands by sewing decorative buttons onto fabric-covered headbands. Choose buttons that match your personal style or the colors of your outfit.
- Buttoned Accessories: Incorporate buttons into accessories like handbags, clutches, or wallets. Sew or glue decorative buttons onto these accessories to add a touch of style and individuality.
- Button-Embellished Hats: Personalize a plain hat by attaching decorative buttons around the brim or on the hatband. This can give your hat a unique flair and make it stand out from the crowd.
Upcycling Your Wardrobe with Buttons
By upcycling your wardrobe with buttons, you can transform plain or outdated garments into fashion-forward and individualized pieces that reflect your personal style.
Here's a step-by-step guide on how to upcycle your wardrobe with buttons:
- Take a look at your wardrobe and identify the pieces that could benefit from a button upgrade. This could include shirts, blouses, jackets, skirts, or even accessories like bags or hats.
- Choose a selection of decorative buttons that complement your existing wardrobe and the style you want to achieve. Consider different sizes, colors, and designs to create the desired effect.
- Before attaching the buttons, plan where you want them to be placed on each garment. You can sketch or visualize the design to ensure a cohesive and aesthetically pleasing result.
- Gather the necessary supplies, including your chosen buttons, needle and thread (or a sewing machine if you prefer), scissors, and a seam ripper (if needed).
- If your garment already has buttons, you can simply replace them with the decorative ones. Use a seam ripper to remove the old buttons and sew or attach the new ones in their place.
- If your garment doesn't have existing buttons or you want to add more visual interest, you can strategically sew or attach buttons as accents. This could be along the collar, cuffs, pockets, or any other area you want to highlight.
- Get creative with button placement. Consider asymmetrical designs, button clusters, or even mixing different button sizes and styles to create unique patterns and effects.
- Ensure that the buttons are securely attached to your garments. Sew them on using a strong thread and reinforce the attachment by sewing through multiple times or adding a small, clear button on the backside for reinforcement.
- Instead of using a single button, experiment with grouping multiple buttons together. This can create a focal point and add a touch of artistry to your upcycled garments.
Voilà! Now, you can showcase your unique style and new decorative buttons!
Caring for Your Decorative Buttons:
Give your wardrobe a boost by keeping your decorative buttons gleaming like new!
Cleaning Your rhinestone or Glass Buttons:
Are your favorite rhinestone or glass buttons looking dull and tarnished? Fear not! With a few simple cleaning tricks, you can restore their shine and keep them looking their best. Begin by removing any dirt or debris with a soft-bristled brush or cotton swab. Next, mix a solution of warm water and mild soap and gently scrub the buttons with a soft cloth. For stubborn stains, add a little white vinegar to the mixture. Finally, rinse the buttons thoroughly with clean water and allow them to air dry. Follow these steps for sparkling buttons that will add charm to any garment or accessory!
Cleaning Your Wood Buttons:
It's possible to restore your wood buttons to their former glory with just a few simple steps. All you need is some warm water, mild soap, and a soft brush or cloth. Gently scrub the buttons, making sure to reach every nook and cranny. Rinse them thoroughly and dry them off with a towel. Voilà! Your clothes will look brand new again! Give it a try and let us know in the comments if these tips worked for you!
Cleaning Your Shell Buttons
With just a few simple steps, you can restore your shell buttons to their former glory. First, remove any loose dirt or debris with a soft-bristled brush. Then, mix a solution of warm water and mild soap and use a cloth to gently scrub the buttons. Rinse thoroughly and dry with a clean towel. Voilà - your shell buttons will be sparkling like new in no time! Give it a try and see the difference for yourself.
Cleaning Your Ceramic Buttons
Start by mixing warm water and dish soap, then use a soft-bristled toothbrush to scrub away any dirt or grime. For more stubborn stains, a mixture of baking soda and vinegar can do the trick! Rinse with cold water and dry off with a clean cloth.
Cleaning Your Metal Buttons
With just a few simple steps and some household items, you can restore your metal buttons to their former glory. First, mix equal parts baking soda and water to create a paste, then apply it to the buttons with a soft-bristled brush. After letting it sit for a few minutes, scrub away the paste with warm water and dry them off with a clean cloth. Voila - shiny metal buttons that will make your outfit pop! Try this out next time you notice your metal buttons don't look as good as they should.
In conclusion, decorative buttons are a simple yet effective way to add color and personality to your wardrobe. They allow you to express your individuality and make a statement without breaking the bank. Whether you choose bold and bright colors or more subtle designs, there is a button out there for everyone. So why not spice up your outfits with some fun and funky buttons? Your clothes will thank you, and you'll feel confident and stylish every time you step out the door. Give it a try today!